Thursday, February 20, 2014

Planting has begun

I posted here about our seeds arriving in the mail for our 2014 garden.  Saturday night Ben planted the onion seeds in large 12"x20" flats.  He planted two flats with 800 seeds per flat!  He invited me to join in on the fun but I just didn't have that much precision work in me to plant those tiny onion seeds.  The onion variety Ben chose was a hybrid yellow onion called Patterson from Johnny's Selected Seeds.  If everything goes well Ben calculates that we should reap 150 to 200 pounds of delicious, long-keeping onions by this fall.  We should start seeing some green shoots very soon and I must say that I am excited!  We still had more work to do on our lights shelf so Monday, we coated it with a waterproof stain.   For our family home evening activity, Ben, Seth, Grace, and I did the staining while Camille and Gabe kept Zeddie from splashing in the paint.   

This marks the beginning of a spectacular garden year.









2 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow! Who knew you had to be so exact when planting onions. Please keep posting about your garden! I'm so excited to see all that you guys do. I want to grow some herbs, tomatoes, and possibly summer squash in pots on our deck this summer... so please share your gardening wisdom!

Judi said...

I am still learning Melanie but I plan to share a lot here on our blog. I just saw a book at the library on deck gardening.