Sunday, January 26, 2014

Planning for summer

Ben has been spending a lot of time planning for our garden this summer.  It will be two times the size of our garden last year.  We already ordered the seeds.  I will admit seeing all of these seeds kind of gets me excited too.  We ordered from Seed Savers Exchange, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, and Johnny's Selected Seeds.  There are a few from Home Depot too. What I would give to bite into an heirloom tomato right now!








Yesterday Ben and the boys built a seed starter shelf which is sure to hold more than we can possibly grow!  Seth stuck by Ben all day and helped build it.  Gabe and Zeddie assisted along the way too.  It is big isn't it?  Good thing we have a pretty good size unfinished basement to house such a project as this one!




Seth is our cowboy and he pretty much wears his hat all of the time!







5 comments:

Justin & Brittney said...

yea! very exciting! can't wait to see your huge garden!!!

Maryanne said...

That's very cool! I alternate between being excited about the garden and nervous about the work. I still feel like I don't really know what I'm doing but hope that each year will get a little better.

Justin & Brittney said...

Justin and I are going to start some seeds indoors this year. What are you guys using for light in your basement for the seeds? Are you just putting them near a window?

Judi said...

Yes Maryanne I get very nervous about the work too. But then I also tell my kids we can do hard things! :)

Brittney - Ben is buying special lights that will attach to the shelves he built. The only thing is the lights cost SO MUCH!!!

Melanie said...

Cute pictures of your little boys helping/playing! I know almost nothing about gardening... except that the produce tastes SOOO good. I can't wait to have a home and start a garden. Our apartment has a balcony that faces south so I am going to try planting some tomatoes and herbs in pots this summer. Please share more of your expertise on gardening!