Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Bathroom project

Our home only has one bathroom.  Yup all seven of us share one bathroom.  Growing up I only had one bathroom to share with a family of seven and so did Ben.  You manage right?  It really hasn't been so bad.  We make it work.

I needed a project to help me get through this very cold January and so Grace and I decided to spruce up the bathroom a bit.  A total renovation of our home is in the future so we didn't do anything too drastic.  We basically put a fresh coat of paint on the walls and ceiling along with painting the brown cupboards white.  The linoleum is in pretty good shape and we decided to bring out the gray in the floor and bought a new shower curtain, rug and hand towels.  I would love to paint the trim of the window and trim of the door white too but we will wait until we get new windows to make the decision about what to do with the trim . . . leave it brown or paint it white.  I am leaning towards white as it just seems so much brighter and cleaner.

Grace, my photographer took some before photos so we could remember what it looked like.  Now remember our home was built in 1955 and I think everything is pretty much original except the linoleum and wrap around shower.  The tub is stainless steel which I prefer so much over what is in most homes these days.  It could use a reglazing. 

BEFORE

You can see the wood trim around the window, floor and door. 



Our sink with a lovely hard water stain!  I think the faucet needs a new washer so that it won't have a slow drip causing the lovely yellow stain.  We try to stay on top of it but it looks like the person on bathroom duty hasn't scrubbed the sink in a while!



The laundry chute.  Which is a novelty to our kids and to all kids who come over.  I grew up with one so it isn't that big of a deal to me although it does help eliminate dirty clothes all over the house.
 
Brown everywhere.  It just seems drab to me especially since it is all pretty worn out.  I do love the wood floors in the rest of the house though.

5 comments:

Maryanne said...

I can't wait to see it all painted! I loved your tub-- ours is plastic, it creaks under foot. I'm not a fan of that at all!

Justin & Brittney said...

Oh can't wait to see the reveal :)

Melissa said...

When we moved in our house one of our sinks had a hard water stain almost exactly like yours. I tried EVERYTHING on it and nothing worked. I read online to mix equal parts of white vinegar and blue Dawn dish soap. I mixed it in a spray bottle. Sprayed it on the stain and left it for an hour. It wiped right off after an hour. I could not believe it. It looks great now. Loved your house. It is beautiful and I'm sure will be so wonderful for your family.

Judi said...

I will have to try that Melissa. The only problem is that there is a slow leak so until we actually fix the leak the stain will keep coming back!

Melissa said...

Same problem here, Judi, so I have to clean it like this every so often. You would think my leak would have been fixed many months ago since I am married to a plumber!!!!