The phone rang early this morning before the sun came up. The post office was calling to let us know our chicks had arrived (a day earlier than we had been told). Thankfully, we had all gone out last night for family night to pick up supplies at a local farm supply store.
Our post office is just a half mile away (we may be six miles from the closest grocery store but we are glad to live so close to the post office). I drove to pick them up while Ben got the "brooder" ready. The box was smaller and lighter than I was imagining. The baby chicks were chirping.
The kids were all sleeping and we woke them up for the excitement. I think this was better than Christmas for them. Seth didn't stop giggling with glee the whole time. Currently, they are in our school room. Although, I am not sure they will be there for long as they do stink a bit :). They really are quite cute and we have all spent time in front of the brooder watching them.
Here are a few photos of our new family members; an increase of 25!
We ordered 15 pullets but we got 10 free cockerels with them. (They send the extra cockerels to keep all the chicks warm enough in the box.) What are we going to do with all of these chickens?
5 comments:
You're not going to eat them are you? I think thats why they have peeps.
aww adorable! will you name them all?
Oh, those pictures take me back!!! I loved having chicks when I was growing up. I am so excited for you- what fun!
Sorry guys- I forgot to leave my name. Pitcher is Ry's name for his new blog (we don't have anything posted yet)
Julie
I had a chick in high school and loved it! It followed me everywhere. I bet the kids will have so much fun. Ainsley would LOVE to have one too.
Post a Comment