Thursday, May 22, 2014

Broiler update

It has been a rough few weeks for the broiler chicks.  We are learning a lot about caring for broilers and what we will do differently if we do this project again.  The first thing we learned is that it is probably best to keep them in the barn for their first two weeks of life.  We had a very wet spring and it got so bad that we had to individually transport all 100 chicks and their house into the barn on a very rainy evening.  It was quite the project and it required all of us to help, even Zeddie was a part of the adventure.  But finally things have begun to dry up and the broilers are getting bigger and were ready to be outside again. 










3 comments:

Maryanne said...

Will you be harvesting the chickens for meat for your family or are they for eggs, or a mix of both? I haven't been to your blog for a long time-- probably because I keep not updating my own blog, so I don't go to it! I love hearing what you all are up to, and seeing everyone, including your growing baby-- you look beautiful!

Judi said...

These are actually bred to be butchered and roasted :). We have 100 broilers and 40 layers. We will hopefully sell half of them and put the other half in the freezer.

I have 10 weeks to go as I will be induced at 39 weeks.

Cellista said...

You are all looking like some serious farmers! We are really hoping to drive to Ohio this year to see Bill's parents, maybe in the fall. We'd love to stop by and see you!