Friday, February 14, 2014

True love activity

Absolute truth: Boys LOVE fire!

Out of the blue after dinner on Tuesday night, Ben announced that we were all going to build a fire in our empty silo and make hot chocolate.  Sure.  I said, "Count me out."  But Seth and Gabe were just as quick jumping out of their chairs rushing to get on their snow clothes.  It wasn't just cold outside; it was two degrees below zero outside.  Freezing temperatures were not going to stop them from their adventure.  After a while the girls and I came to check on the boys.  Gabe asked me if I could see smoke coming out of the silo.  I just smiled.  But even the tiny fire they built, due to a temperature inversion and an adverse draft, gradually filled the silo with smoke, leaving all of us smelling like a chimney even after my one minute exposure!

The hot chocolate wasn't really hot but the boys had a great time and are already begging for a repeat.  I don't think they are going to ever forget this spur of the moment activity!

Note the silo in daylight.


Entrance to the inside of the silo.




Let the fun begin!




The fire.




All smiles!  The girls and I stopped in for a short time.  It was quite cozy (and a little smoky) inside!
 

6 comments:

Karen said...

What a fun Dad and a fun memory!!

Maryanne said...

Fun, but I also screamed when I saw that someone was wearing shorts! :)

Judi said...

I know Maryanne. That is Camille. She had just gotten home from gymnastics and ran to see the boys in the silo!

Melanie said...

Fun! I would have stayed inside too with it that cold. I'm not gonna lie, I had to look up what a silo was. haha! Will you use that to store anything?

Judi said...

You are too funny Melanie! There are silos in Missouri and I am sure in Omaha! No we probably won't use it for its original purpose. We have some creative ideas we may experiment with though! :)

Melanie said...

I've definitely seen them but I just called them towers. hahaha! I should work on my vocabulary more. :) Well I can't wait to see what creative thing you do!