Friday, August 19, 2011

Good-bye to our summer home

Today we move out of our summer home - all 300 square feet of it!  Taking a break from possessions for a summer is something I highly recommend.  I am not even sure I even need or want all that stuff in our POD!  I can't say that I have really missed anything! 


I have really enjoyed having the kids in such close proximity.  I have been able to listen to them more as they interact with one another.  We have been able to focus on our family more and spend a lot more time together.  I do think we will remember the summer of 2011 as a highlight of our family life and I think it will be the basis for a lot of our future life decisions.  It is a bitter-sweet good-bye. 


This is our closet.  I am happy to report that this was plenty of clothes for all six of us!   We also had three more bins of clothes; one for the boys, one for the girls, and one for Ben and I.


Here is the kitchen.  The hotel does supply some kitchen supplies but we brought along a few of our favorite kitchen items.  Cast iron frying pan, crock pot, a birthday plate (since we celebrated three birthdays while here), a few utensils, and basically our whole pantry of opened items (flour, sugar, rice, pasta, beans, etc.) which we have almost consumed except for all the many miscelleneous bottles of vinegars, oils and spices that Ben purchases when he makes his exotic meals.  The kitchen has worked but I really miss having an oven to bake in and if there is one area of a home that I would really like a bit larger it would be the kitchen. 


In the same room as the kitchen is the living room/bedroom for the kids at night!  Here are the girls playing paperdolls and the boys playing Legos.


Here is the bathroom which also served as the home to our cat's litter box and food.  When in an emergency we could use the hall bathroom a few doors down.

This is the room Ben and I slept in which is right off the kitchen/living room.  It was laundry day when I took this photo.  I managed to stick to only three loads of laundry once a week.  I couldn't bring myself to spend more than $10 to do laundry.  I would hang most of the clothes on hangers to dry which I normally do anyway.  I didn't have to wash towels or sheets as these were provided by the hotel.  


So where are we heading next?  Our final destination has not yet been decided but today we are heading to house sit a friend's home for two weeks while they are away.  Stay tuned for our next adventure!

3 comments:

See.Kate.Run said...

You guys are having quite the summer!! Lots of adventures to be had! I think that key chain is perfect for this time in your life - I always misplace my keys when I am on vacation and moving from one place to another. :)

stefanie said...

Our current residence in not much bigger than your summer home - no joke.

JRoberts said...

You are amazing! I am totally in awe.

I would love to do that "experiment" of living with less. I think it might be what I do next rental we move to. (we have one more move, I think, till we can have a farm)

You really are an inspiration. I am so glad you updated, I was wondering how you were doing.