Friday, August 13, 2010

Emily Dickinson Museum










One of the activities we did while in Massachusetts was visit Emily Dickinson's home in Amherst Massachusetts.  I grew up in Massachusetts but never came to see her home.  The tour was quite enjoyable.  I have a lot of interest in life in the 1800's.  The girls were inspired by all of the poetry and spent some time with cousin Karissa writing poems.  Here is one of the poems that was shared while on the tour.


Some keep the Sabbath going to Church --
I keep it, staying at Home --
With a Bobolink for a Chorister --
And an Orchard, for a Dome --

Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice --
I just wear my Wings --
And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church,
Our little Sexton -- sings.

God preaches, a noted Clergyman --
And the sermon is never long,
So instead of getting to Heaven, at least --
I'm going, all along.

Emily Dickinson

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I loved that poem you shared of Emily Dickinson. It was a fun day and so glad we were able to go to the museum together! I really enjoyed learning more about Emily Dickinson.

Karissa said...

I am so glad that we went there! And I loved writing poems with the girls :]