Sunday, March 2, 2008

Letterboxing






On a recent visit to the library I came across an interesting hobby to do as a family. It is called Letterboxing.

I had never heard of this before but found it very interesting. There was a reference to a website (www.letterboxing.org) so I checked it out and this is what I learned:

"Letterboxing is an intriguing “treasure hunt” style outdoor activity. Letterboxers hide small, weatherproof boxes in publicly-accessible places (like parks) and post clues to finding the box online on one of several Web sites. However, clues to finding some of the most highly-sought boxes are passed around by word of mouth. There are about 20,000 letterboxes hidden in North America alone. Individual letterboxes usually contain a log book, an often hand-carved rubber stamp and may contain an ink pad. Finders make an imprint of the letterbox's stamp on their personal log book, and leave an imprint of their personal stamp on the letterbox's logbook."

We decided to check it out in our area. We had a great time finding our first letterbox at a local nature park. Here are a few photos from our adventure.

2 comments:

stefanie said...

I have never heard of letterboxing before. It sounds like fun! Are you going to hide a Weston letterbox somewhere?

jamie said...

I have heard of this but never have done it! Sounds like fun, maybe we will have to give it a try!