Saturday, May 24, 2008

A little stress in our evening

Grace and Camille with our new friends from the fire station!

We were getting ready to go to a neighbor's picnic late this afternoon. Ben had taken a quick walk to our garden plot. Gabe had been quite cranky after his nap but this is not abnormal so I didn't think much of it. He was insistent that I carry him so I placed him beside me on the counter as I was putting the cookies on a plate for the picnic. Of course, all the kids were close by and asking to have a bite of cookie. I gave them each a small piece. Almost immediately after Gabe put his tiny piece in his mouth he fell backwards on the counter. At first I thought he was choking but I soon realized that wasn't the problem. I guess I didn't really know what was going on and it really scared me. I grabbed him in my arms and ran outside to yell for Ben as I knew he must be on his way back down our lane. He came running and grabbed Gabe while I ran to call 911. He was having a seizure.

So in the mean time the seizure stopped and we could hear the sirens but they never got to our house. A few minutes later they called and asked where our house was!!! When they did get to our lane they went to our neighbors who were having the picnic and then finally arrived at our house. Good thing it wasn't a huge emergency! The fire truck didn't even attempt our driveway but walked up to our house. We had six guys in our living room. It was quite the event for all of us. Poor Seth got scared when all of this was happening and Grace found him in the basement. It probably didn't help that I showed my fear.

The EMTs gave Gabe a little oxygen and basically just stayed for a few minutes. Gabe seems to be doing okay now but we are watching him closely. None of the kids have ever had a febrile seizure but I guess this is fairly common; Ben says 1 in 25 children have them. It is nice to have a Pediatrician right close by :) I only wish he had been in the kitchen when it happened and not down the road as it would have helped me not feel so extremely helpless. At least I now know what to do if it happens again.

I guess one good thing that came out of this is that now the people at the fire station know where we are! The crazy thing is, the fire station is just 1/2 mile away!

7 comments:

Karen said...

I hope Gabe is doing ok. How scary!

I am so happy you told me about your blog and you found mine. I loved reading all your posts. The kids are growing so much. I loved seeing your home and the area round it. I love the baby chicks and raccons. Your cat molly is so pretty. How does Pumpkin like her?
Please come and see us anytime.

Tricia said...

That must have been so scary for all of you. I am glad he is doing better now and we will keep him in our prayers. It is so nice to get your photos and updates on the kids and family. It makes me feel somewhat closer to you all.

Tricia said...

I am sure that must have been so scary for all of you and sweet Gabe. None of our kids ever had one of those. I didn't realize they were so common. So the high fever brings them on? Give Gabe a kiss and hug for us. We miss you all so much.

Karen said...

Is Gabe feeling better yet or is his fever still high?

Katie said...

Oh Judy, I'm at a loss for words. What a scarey thing to go through!!! I'm glad Gabe is doing okay. I'm going to do a little research to find out about coming to visit after Chicago. I'll let you know. We'd love to see you.

Karen said...

Judy, We missed you and your family at our 'indoor' ward picnic. I hope Gabe is feeling better.

Laura Joyce said...

Thank goodness he is OK. You'll have to tell me more about these seizures. I am unfamiliar with them and I know I would not handle it well at all if it happened with one of the boys.